Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup water
1 2-3 pound butternut squash, seeds removed & cubed
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cubed
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1-2 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
salt & fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
sour cream, to garnish
sliced green onion, to garnish
1. In sauce pan over medium heat, bring 2 tablespoons olive oil to a gentle simmer.
2. Toss in onion & garlic, sautéing 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant.
3. Add squash & water to onion / garlic. Sauté for additional 5-7 minutes.
4. Pour in chicken stock, add apples, cream, butter, sugar & seasonings.
5. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer & cook for 30 minutes, or until squash fork tender.
6. Remove from heat, pour into food processor & puree.
7. Sample soup using clean spoon & season additionally, to taste.
8. Pour puree back into sauce pan, bringing to simmer for additional 2-3 minutes.
9. Remove from heat.
10. Using ladle, fill soup bowls, then garnish with light dollop of sour cream & green onion.
11. Serve immediately.